SailNet Community - View Single Post - 32'' wauquiez centurion (1973)
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2000
JeffH

32'''' wauquiez centurion (1973)

The 32'' Wauquiez Centurion is generaly considered to be a pretty well built boat taht sails fairly well for the era in which they were built. I did not think they were made as early as 1972 (but I could be wrong here. My recollection was that the Centurian was a 1980''s vintage boat.) I can''t remember being below on one but I have seen them out sailing. My sense is that they are not very good light air boats and probably are not to great in higher winds as well but really excel in the 8-15 knot breezes that is favored by many of us coastal sailors.

Of course a 1970''s vintage boat is beginning to get long in the tooth. You definately should go for a thorough survey. Items of particular importance: Depending on useage and sailing venue- Both standing and running rigging are approaching the end of their useful lifespan, original and perhaps even a second suit of sails are near the end of their lives as well, engines are close to needing a overhaul, rebuild or worse. Decks and hulls should be checked for delamination and bulkhead tabbing should be carefully checked. Also important are shroud and stay attachement points, keel bolts and rudder posts and cores. Boats of this era (if it really is from the early 1970''s) had very primative hardware and undersized winches by modern standards. If the gear has not been upgraded then it should be carefully checked during the sail trial with the adequacy for purpose being factored into your plans for the boat.
Good luck
Gotta Go!
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook