SailNet Community - View Single Post - First time ever from India-certification and sailing school advice!!
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012

shash_india is on a distinguished road
First time ever from India-certification and sailing school advice!!

Hello friends
M from India and this forum has inspired me to take sailing seriously!I discovered this place today and ance have already spent about 10 hours reading!
I have decided to learn sailing.

WHY?
I am 23 year old male looking to get married next year and i want to take my partner on a nice journey.Earlier i had thought of appointing professional crew for the same but now i have decided to Bareboat (still learning sailing jargons ) -that is -dispensing with the crew.

For that i realized i need atleast an ASA-104 certification.

Now i my questions are-

1.i have come to understand you need ASA-101 and ASA-103 certification as prerequisite for ASA 104..since i dont have dem what is the best alternative for me? I believe that there there is some exam to clear for the certification? If so its something we INDIANS are really good at.. Theory so can i see videos and learn and give the exam and obtain certification?

However i want to learn sailing and so intend to join some sailing course for ASA-104..Since we have no such schools in India and no good ones in Asia-i would need to travel to USA or Europe which m completely willing to do..
But can i start practical training directly from ASA104???

2.How recognized is ASA certification worldwide for charter? Is it recognizable enough to get charter in a USA,Europe and Australia?

3.I have been reading about mono vs motor etc..I think mono suits my needs..however i also see catamaran sailboats.Now, when i saw a few videos on youtube and pictures and stuff i saw that in the medium cats,there are jet motor boats for taking out to sea and things like that...Is that possible for medium sized monos also?

4.Lastly, on ASA-104 certification page,it says "30-50 foot boat sailing".Does that include catamarans also? Are there separate training for cats and monos in Sailing schools?
I read on the forum that learning cats makes it an easy switch to mono...

I will forever be grateful to any replies (being my first ever regards to sailing!)

How should i go about it? Can anybody plz help me get started..would really really appreciate it! And thnx so much for making me a part of this family!!!

Regards
Shashwat
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook