SailNet Community - View Single Post - Restoring bootstripe by wet sanding?
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Restoring bootstripe by wet sanding?

Thanks for the link. I had read that thread a year ago, but it was good to reread what I had forgotten. In theory I should have seen it right away since it's stickied, but the stickies become wallpaper after awhile and my eyes skip right over them.

I went out to a local auto supply store this afternoon and tried to find some of the products that MS recommended. All I found was the Maguire's #9, which I'm not ready to use yet, and all the other stuff looked to have silicone oils. I want to polish my entire hull - not sure I need compounding, but we'll have to see. However, I thought boot stripe needed more work than the rest of the hull, so I wanted to get started on that ASAP. I decided to go ahead with wet sandpaper instead of searching for a heavy compound, since I already had the paper, and I know that the only silicon it had was silicon carbide . Also, I felt it would be easier to control because I could cut it to the width of my boot stripe, and thus focus the sanding just on the stripe itself. I tried 1000 grit first, and it did the trick much quicker than the 2000 that I tried before. I was able to eliminate the chalkiness on both sides of the bootstripe (25' boat) in about 30 minutes.

As I observed the results of sanding I had some thoughts about what was causing the chalkiness. The bootstripe was always shiny since I bought the boat, it was just milky under the shine. I know the PO used Collinite Fleet paste on the hull, and the wax is starting to get discolored on the white part of the hull. The chalkiness would not go away when the stripe got wet - the stripe seemed to be hydrophobic (evidence that it was coated with wax). However, after about 10 strokes over a section with the sandpaper, the chalkiness would disapper and the water caused the strip to turn a nice, deep blue. I'd wipe off the area with a wet sponge and lots of water and let it dry. Once dry, it became a little lighter in color than when wet (but still darker than before), and very dull at this point. But now when it gets wet, the water coats it and it immediately turns dark again, instead of repelling the water and staying light like it did before.

My conclusion is that the milkiness was probably stale Fleet wax over top of an oxidized boot stripe. Now that I've sanded down to the bare stripe, I can compound/polish/glaze/wax to restore it.

I'm still struggling with whether to compound or go right to polishing. Overall the hull is in nice shape, and just needs for the old wax to be stripped off. I had already purchased the Collinite Fiberglass Boat Cleaner which seems to be somewhere between a compound and polish, so I'm thinking that maybe using that followed by Maguire's #9, then Collinite Fleet paste will get me decent results using up most of what I already have.

The other thing I'm toying with is getting the Presta Ultra Cutting Cream so I can do compounding and polishing in one step. It sounds like that is amazing stuff. However, I'm not sure that my pre-splash schedule will allow time for an online order to come, so it might have to wait until next year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook