SailNet Community - View Single Post - First Boat for Family of Six (in Oz)
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012

BentSailor will become famous soon enough
Re: First Boat for Family of Six (in Oz)

Sorry, I don't HAVE good news I'm afraid. I was simply hoping to have some good news before updating. You know us first yacht buyers, so full of optimism that reality is a hard slap to the face

OK, I've looked at a few boats now and looked into a few more models based on suggestions and where they took us in our queries. I'll summarise below

Bonbridge 27 sails beautifully, reasonable cockpit, and doesn't have a look that makes one cringe in shame sailing it (in fact, I think she looks pretty nice). That said, she had a couple of downsides - namely that even sleeping two would feel like camping (though she has the berths, they are not what one would call comfortable).

Carter 33 looks nice both in & out and she can move on the water quite nicely. Thing is, from what I saw and what I've been able to gather, she really needs two people to sail her well. Someone more experienced than me might be able to single-sail her, but I'm nowhere near as experienced as some long-horns around here and my wife even less so.

Columbia 34 boats are pretty damned sweet and, honestly, I could definitely see us on one. I've heard great reports but I haven't found one that was below $50K. I'm no financial whiz so stretching my budget that far is a feat left for after turning my water into wine

Southern Ocean 32 is looking good. The only one that fits the price range though has dropped another $10K recently though which worries the hell out of me. Especially when the dealer is advertising it as needing TLC.

Which brings me back to the Clansman 30. I recently got to take a trip out on one of these boats and I must say I am kind of impressed. She looks nice, seems to sail well without much in the way needing the second person on board (especially to windward), and roomy enough for the camping/sailing we intend to do. Though I'm not 100% certain about it, I'm comfortable enough now to have told the accountant to work out how we extract $30K from the business without too much tax implications

Trust me - when I have "good news" of the yacht buying type - I'll be sending a post from my phone before the ink is dry on the bill of sale
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook