SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anyone use a hammock at sea?
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Re: Anyone use a hammock at sea?

Hammocks are a better sleeping arrangement for a single person and are not nearly so comfortable for sleeping with the bride or g/f.

Second, hammocks are not at all comfortable if you sleep on your side or stomach. People carrying a little extra weight tend to snore when on their back. Years ago my beautiful bride, through judicious application of an elbow (ahem), has trained me to sleep on my stomach so I sleep normally and quietly. Back sleeping also exacerbates sleep apnea.

Third, hammocks are not suitable for small boats because they are not space efficient when deployed singly. They require more room than the traditional single berth due to swing needs. However they work pretty well for berthing spaces with a 30 or 40 foot beam where you can put many side-by-side and the swing space overlaps. Also, in small boats they hang amidships or nearly so, so everyone needs to sleep at once or else those awake must take to crawling the deck like a WW II soldier in a field of fire simply to move about. :-)

DaCAP
Pasadena, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook