SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help Me Choose A Boat?
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Re: Help Me Choose A Boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippo008 View Post
Hi, first post here, so i will try to abide by the rules.

I started sailing about 6 years ago, with opti's, then lasers, then 420's and then Racing. I have been racing 420's and Lasers, and we have won 2 state title's and i have won numerous as a crew for 420's, including best and fastest crew at my school, for 420's that is. I love boating, and it come time for me to buy a boat, i have saved about 10,000$ and my parents say they will throw in some cash for line, and some money for the boat.

I am looking for Dinghy class, or something close to that size. I am a speed addict, i love fast sailboats, there is nothing like the experience of going 20mph without a motor!( all those addicts will know what i am talking about.)

The biggest boat i could handle with my mooring and skill, is something about 25-30foot. But i am really hoping for something smaller, sleeker,and faster. I am talking about maybe a 49er, or a V15 or something similar. A boat that i could single hand, or have a friend on with me. Now what is important, i live in Boston,so water is cold. So a boat that is not be super wet when low wind. Lastly i don't want something that is going to be hard to keep from a wing dragging,or an outrigger.
I think that before the discussion goes toward the actual boat, where do you plan to keep it?

From your post it sounds like the boat may stay on a mooring, is this correct?

Some light weight speed demon type boats may not do well on a mooring. Make sure that the rig is designed to stay up all summer and take a pounding.

Where do you plan to winter the boat, on a trailer or in the yard on stands?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook