SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hello from Wyoming
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012

captainfletcher is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to captainfletcher Send a message via MSN to captainfletcher Send a message via Yahoo to captainfletcher
Re: Hello from Wyoming

Must have already sold it, or decided to keep her. My wife thinks I'm nuts about trying to find a sailboat, but I'd like to find one so I can start learning and enjoying sailing. I'm not for sure on a budget yet I thought that my 1-man pontoon was ready to be sold, but I found out that it has a major leak in 2 of the 4 bladders. So, I'll have to fix it then try and sell her; she's not worth much if she is not sound. Ultimately, I'd like to keep it under a grand, but it might be some time before I can come up with that much.

The boat I'm looking at is, I think, a Macgregor Venture 21 or 17. Seller's son didn't know much about it, other than the trailer needs some work done on it and it has a new main sail. Fiberglass looked good with no cracks, but the paint looks original, 1970's ??, and is peeling and cracking up, deck has that white powdery residue on it from sitting outside it's whole life. Interior is pretty filthy, but looks decent shape. Keel looks rough. I forgot to look for a rudder, as I didn't notice one, not sure if it's there or not. All the rigging, halyards, and hardware needs replacing. She looks pretty rough, but I think she'll be a good size for me to learn on and for my family to fit in and enjoy.

Snapfish: Log In

As far as fly fishing goes, man there's tons of places to go. South Platte River is a good start, but depending on where specifically you go, it can be really great or terrible. I used to live in Colorado Springs and I would go out to South Park and fish the lakes quite a bit, mainly Spinney Res. and Elevenmile Res. Spinney is awesome right at ice off, big bows and hungry pike! Clear Creek above Golden is a nice retreat from the city heat in the summer. One of the spots that is a must hit is Taylor River and East River above Gunnison in the fall for spawing kokanee salmon! It's like a mini Alaska! So many kokes that you get tired of catching them! Just let me know which way you wanna go, and I can lead you to some epic places. Oh, another that is really sweet is to hike into the Indian Peaks wilderness or Rocky Mountain National Park for cutts and brookies, they'll hit just about anything, and the scenery is spectacular!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook