SailNet Community - View Single Post - What sailing knife do you use?
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
Re: What sailing knife do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
A sailor's choice of a knife should take into consideration what sort of cordage you have on your boat... For anyone with a fair amount of hi-tech rope aboard, halyards or sheets with spectra/Dyneema cores, and whatnot, this knife from Boye is the way to go... It cuts that stuff like no other rigging knife I've seen...

Plus, it's the only rigging knife I've ever owned which has never shown the slightest hint of rust... Beautifully designed, fits in the hand very nicely, easy to open with one hand, etc... All the things a sailor could want in a knife...

You sure don't want to lose it over the side, however... These things are pretty pricey - although I now see he's offering "seconds" with slight cosmetic imperfections, without the marlinspike, for a bit over $100...

Again, for those sailing on a boat with a lot of hi-tech line, well worth it, IMHO... Knives are one of those things that some people are very particular about, and for those who appreciate a beautifully crafted knife as a Work of Art, this one definitely fits the bill...

Boye Knives Cobalt Blade Boat Knife - Rigging & Sailing Yacht Knife

Part of the reason these knives are so good on tough materials is that they effectively have mini serrations. Fancy names aside, the metal used is basically microscopic carbide teeth in a softer metal, kind of like a miniature saw. Exactly what you need for cutting incredibly tough fibers. These microscopic teeth are what create the slicing effect, the scallops help with the action of the blade drawing it by varying the angle the edge hits the rope at. A very neat technology, basically a cheaper consumer level version of Stellite/Talonite steels.
Rob Simmonich was the main guy behind Talonite, so it's become increasingly harder to find unless you know someone who stockpiled a bit while he was alive.
I think Strider might still make some Stellite blades, but like most things however there is a trade off.

These types of steels should be a dedicated use knife only, the edges are very soft. They require a bit of a different sharpening technique to keep that slicing edge.
Not a good food prep or general use knife, for example they are just about useless in a push cut(like carving wood or peeling potatoes).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook