SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full Keel Vs. Fin or Modified Full Keel
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
Re: Full Keel Vs. Fin or Modified Full Keel

I am looking forward to seeing what my (new) old CCA battle-wagon can do with her sails and some wind....'66 Morgan-designed Columbia 40.....low freeboard, more than adequate cabin room/storage, narrow sea-slicing 10.5 foot beam, slow-dispensing reserve bouyancy at the ends with her overhangs ...3/4 full keel..she's 18,200 lbs gross disp. with 8,400 lbs lead...and a 9-foot centerboard that raises to give 4 and a half draft....diesel is slung low under salon sole...under tow the other day in 15 mph winds in mid-river she rode like the Rock of Gibraltar...Lot's of work to do on her mind you....she's old and there's lots to replace/upgrade...decks need re-enforcemnt and corework needs to be finished...hull-to-deck joint needs further inspection but no sign of leaks yet...should be the same joint as on my '66 Columbia 29...same factory..
Overall...I ain't got time on no Open 40's or open 60's certainly...but we'll take chances with what we gots...and with a still respectable theoretical speed 7.17 knots ...so I am a knot slower than other 40-footers of alot newer design...but If I never go anywhere I aint gonna spill my drink at anchor until it starts blowin into the 40 knot range she's so solid...and when I do go somewhere...crew fatigue is going to be less...especially if that crew is just me...or one another person.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg columbia_40_drawing.jpg (21.1 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by souljour2000; 04-08-2012 at 06:21 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook