SailNet Community - View Single Post - Compresion post repaired
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012

510datsun is on a distinguished road
Re: Compresion post repaired

Ok, Thanks for you replies all!

I have a 1976, I-28, hull #23, I recently removed the tile floor with a drain in to the bilge, a rare shower/head option. Ya, a shower in the head, sure would like to witness that task. I'm lucky to sit on the throne and read a paperback, forget the newspaper.

I have decide to replace the cabin sole with the GPO3 fiberglass, replace the piece between the cabin sole and 4x4 with GPO3 fiberglass, cut a hole in the counter top the size of the flange, and replace the counter portion between the 4x4 and metal post with the GPO3 fiberglass too. I can epoxy the fiberglass to the 4x4 at both ends.

I decided to go that route because it would all be doable by jacking up the mast and kind of a retro-fit, modifying what is already there. I will take pictures of my fix and post them up after I finish the project. It may be a while before I get it done, but I promise to post it up to help I-28 owners having to deal with this issue.

I really like my I-28, and get compliments on it every time I'm out on the water, got one just today!

As for the headliner, I was going to post up a thread on my idea for that fix. So, look for it soon.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook