SailNet Community - View Single Post - Trying another tack... Looking for the right boat near Vancouver, BC.
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 04-08-2012 Thread Starter
Red face Trying another tack... Looking for the right boat near Vancouver, BC.

I got talked out of the boat I was looking at previously by the good folks here, while it did have the impossible to find live-aboard slip here in Vancouver it was unlikely that it would work out for me in the long run(too big).
Right after I suggested I didn't completely have my head in the clouds on the fact that a boat would be a lot of work.

Coming at it from a different angle, what got me interested in boats in the first place was the stories of small boats being single-handed. I'm looking for a boat I can live-aboard, and eventually take offshore once I have enough experience. My dad will be teaching me to sail it as I have no experience in anything bigger than an FJ.

I've created a fairly exhaustive list of all the boats currently for sale that fit my budget and possibly my needs within reasonable distance.(yachtworld, craigslist, kijiji etc).
Budget is about 50, 000$ all in. A bit more for something perfectly suited and already set up, or a lot less for something in need of a lot of work.
I am 6' tall barefoot, 150lbs so narrow spaces to work on stuff aren't too much of an issue, but headroom to stand would be nice.

Good Storage capacity(especially for water and fuel)
Durable/secure portholes
Well built, properly attached bulkheads to hull etc.
Sea-kindly design
Singlehanding friendly(lines led to cockpit etc)

Easy to get in and out of from a tender/dinghy
Shoal draft(less than 5'6") Or modern cutaway full keel/fin keel that can take minor grounding bumps if deeper.
Narrow/rectangular or T shaped cockpit, I don't entertain people a lot, and comfort in rough weather for me is more important than room for visitors.
Headroom 6'2" or greater if there is at least standing headroom in the galley I can get by for the right boat.
Solar/wind generation already on board.
Independent house batteries.
Good ground tackle
Tender included

Size: 27'-36', 30-33 ideal.

Whatever I get I strongly suspect I'll be trying to get one of Brent Swain's stainless steel woodstoves. I lived with wood heat in BC interior, I like it and don't mind the effort to feed and maintain a wood-stove.

Boats currently for sale within range:
CS36T(My dad has concerns about the size, but other than the length it seems a perfect fit for all my specs)
True North 34
Aloha 32
Westerly Renown 33'
CS 33
Niagra 31
Spencer 35 MkII
USA Albin Ballard(total refit in the past 4 years rigging, new engine etc)
USA Swift Sloop 33'(handholds everywhere, nice layout)

Alberg 30
Bristol 33
Murray 33' cutter steel.
Ontario 32'

Boats I like that I can't find or can't afford:
Crealock 31.beautiful one in Seattle, probably my favorite out of all the boats I've seen, but it's almost double my 50, 000$ budget.
Almost any Robert Perry design.
Niagra 35
C&C 34+

Any thoughts, leads on other boats I might not have considered, especially local(West coast of BC) ones would be much appreciated. I really like the way a Ketch rig looks, and the Renown is very attractively priced, but I'm trying to start with what I need/want first and narrow down to what fits rather than starting with a boat I like the look of and trying to adapt my needs to it.

Last edited by Jgbrown; 04-08-2012 at 02:30 AM. Reason: layout
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome