SailNet Community - View Single Post - What sailing knife do you use?
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: What sailing knife do you use?

If your primary reason for having a knife is to cut the tether after falling overboard, I highly doubt a one handed folding knife will do anyone any good at all. Have you ever been pulled out of the water onto water skis? The force of the water is enormous. When being dragged behind a sailboat, even doing only 5 or 6 knots, just the presence of mind to turn over on your back so you won't drown may be a feat. I have one of these attached to my pfd/harness for cutting the tether........

Amazon.com: Spinlock S-Cutter Safety Knife: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Spinlock S-Cutter Safety Knife: Sports & Outdoors

I also carry a one handed opening blade clipped inside my front pocket. That is to allow me to cut my other hand free if it gets caught in a line or winch. Ouch, hard to even think of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook