SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing Pamlico Sound
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012

jtsails is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing Pamlico Sound

Lancelot,
I just moved my boat down and chose Oriental. Lot's of destinations within a days sail, several nice marina's in the area and several good restaurants here in town. On the down side, draft will be a problem at times. The Neuse river does not have a lunar tide, but does have a wind tide that can be a couple of feet. I am currently keeping my boat (6'1" draft) at Pecan Grove Marina in Oriental and I am fine if the water is at average or higher, but if it is down from a Southwest wind I will have trouble getting in and out. This marina is very protected and has nice facilities. Other options for you would be the Oriental Harbor Marina, on the outside dock only though. It is not as protected but the outside dock has a little more depth than Pecan. The best option for protection/depth would be River Dunes. It is a few miles outside of town but is very nice. The slip rental rate is reasonable, but you have to join the "harbor club" and pay monthly dues which makes if a good bit more expensive than the other options.
Sea Harbor is a nice quaint marina, but less water depth, if one of the outside slips is available it might be workable.
Whitaker Creek has about the same depth as Pecan, but is really showing it's age, lots of dock queens tied up there and facilities are old/worn.
Another option to look at is the Pamlico River. The Pamlico is not affected by wind tide as much as the Neuse which makes it a little easier with a deep draft. Dowry Creek Marina in Belhaven is very nice, with great owners but there is very little in Belhaven.
Bath is an interesting town, very small and not much there for restaurants and supplies. Water depth is no problem though with 7+ feet in almost any conditions.
James
S/V Delaney
1976 C&C 38
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook