Thread: Chainplates
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Chainplates

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
electropolishing is not necessary and does nothing to protect the stainless. mirrior mechanical polishing is the best. any type of polishing, be it mechanical or electropolishing will expose the free iron on the surface and it will rust if exposed to moisture. in addition to the electropolishing process most all parts are passivated and allowed to air dry before returned to the customer. it is the Passivation of the stainless that removes the free iron from the surface and should be done to all stainless parts. Passavation can be done to your parts by soaking in cirtus or nitric acid. soaking in Spotless Stainless will passivate the parts just as well.
I think that the members here are referring to passivation when they say electropolishing. From what my electropolisher told me about the process, passivation is an (the) integral part of the process. The combination of electricity and a nitric acid bath is what gets the iron out to a decent depth.

Also, I beg to differ about it doing nothing - the parts I had done years ago still look the same as the day they were installed. That doesn't happen when they are merely wheel polished and buffed. In that case they start out looking the same but it only lasts a couple of years before they start to lose their gloss and the old brown stains start to make an appearance in corners and on edges and particularly on welds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 04-08-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook