SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Full or fin keel?

Alice,

Depending upon cost, the SO37 that you are currently sailing on HAS crossed many an ocean. In fact one year it had more of these models doing the ARC than any other model. Granted the atlantic can at times be less of an issue than the pacific.....but that is another issue all together.

There is usually 3-6+ for sale on the west coast of the NA from Scal up into the BC area at any one times. Other models that might work from Jeanneau are the SO 34.2, 36.2, 37.x and larger models that are with int he last 15 yrs or so. The sunshine 36/38 has also crossed many an ocean too.

Reality is, many of the more recent boats can and do cross oceans. A fellow on here took an Ericson from the LA or SF area to Australia. I know of a person with a J37c that went from Seattle where I am down to Mexico a couple of yr ago, still down that way.

At the end of the day, get as much sailing experience on the so37 you are sailing in as many wind conditions as you can, including the day you really do not want to go out, ie too windy in you mind, as you may get caught out in the ocean in worst conditions.

Good luck on choice
Marty