SailNet Community - View Single Post - cruiser, live aboard, bluewater?
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2006

gregpecaut is on a distinguished road
Just a note on the question of center cockpit vs aft. The center cockpit layouts allow an aft cabin, which allows more privacy when family crusing, however that also means less room in the salon. For 2 people I would go aft cockpit. As you are planning on costal crusing, just don't exceed your experience and you will be fine. Keep things simple and you will have fewer things to take care of and life will be more pleasent. Refridgeration seems to be the biggest problem for new cruisers. The need to constantly replace ice, or run the engine to chill the cold plate are the problems. I just don't carry any food that needs an ice box. Milk and ice cream are shore side treats. Fish caught fresh are eaten fresh. Try a crusing diet first at home and see just how much you can do with canned meats. Canned milk can be used for a treat, but it's expensive. My wife used powdered milk for her cereal. I can't stand drinking powdered milk. I drink my soda and rum warm. Good thing I don't like beer. I have lived aboard a Morgan 41 center cockpit and I have lived aboard a little Venture 23. But then I drive a truck for a living so I live in it most of the time now. I'm used to not having a lot of room. That's the hardest part about crusing long term. Learning what you can do with out.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook