SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012

Daily Alice is on a distinguished road
Re: Full or fin keel?

Does everyone agree with Lou452 (post 287) : “Well men if you wish to know what a newbee is getting from this thread is that Full or Fin is a matter of choice. The Full might seem to be a little more steady or need less trim under way for a longer time period. It has less draft. The Fin may go better in very light wind and turn just a little faster. Both are as safe and capable as the crew on board.”

“Both are as safe and capable …” Agreed or not? I am wondering the same thing as the OP, regarding fin vs. full keel. I am concerned in particular with potential heavy weather trans-oceanic (Pacific) sailing, regarding keels.

It was suggested earlier that boats of equal displacement should be compared, rather than boats of equal length; it was also suggested that “the biggest difference between fin and full keel boats is that fin keel boats are much lighter, that is the point...to compare boats of the same size and different weights is a more accurate comparison… a typical weight fin of the same size as a typical weight full is about half.” (post 254)

Pragmatically, I would compare by cost (which would include adapting/outfitting an older boat for the stated purpose). What type of boat should I spend my money on, commit to, for my intended purpose (Marty, I’m not focused on a Jeaneau - thanks for your information though). At a given price range there are various keel options available. My length limit of roughly 34’ feet relates to cost/performance, among other factors, including potential physical requirements. I don’t suppose there is a clear answer, but I do wonder about heavy weather sailing in “smaller” boats (representing the largest number of solo/hhort-handed circumnavigators, it seems).

Last edited by Daily Alice; 04-08-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook