SailNet Community - View Single Post - Trying another tack... Looking for the right boat near Vancouver, BC.
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Trying another tack... Looking for the right boat near Vancouver, BC.

Putting a True North 34 and a CS 33 on the same wish list just doesn't make sense.. you need to first figure out what kind of boat you want. Have you read the 'full keel vs fin keel' threads? Some homework there so that you can start comparing oranges with oranges.

I'm surprised to see so many CS33s listed locally.. they are usually rare as hens' teeth. While I'd be a bit leery of the low priced one, it's worth a cautious look for sure. If the other one has $10K worth on goodies/features it may be the better long term choice. I like these boats, esp for single or one couple accommodation. They are not well set up for guests. Great reputation for soild build, decent performers. Around here the deep draft is not a problem, but an asset. I'm sure a good, well prepared one will do just fine offshore.

The Aloha 32 is a 'shippy' looking cruiser from a good designer, Mark Ellis, it's essentially a mini Niagara 35, along with the unconventional layout of her big sister. Again a decent single couple's boat, robust long fin and spade rudder at least she'll be able to get out of her own way!

The Niagara 31 is a sleeper performer.. A German Frers design hidden under the cruisey look of the Aloha/Niagara style. Another layout not ideal for many guests, but sounds like that's not going to be a problem for you as a single liveaboard/couple.

Personally I'd be looking at these above rather than the heavy full keeled boats, even for ocean passages, but that's a personal subjective choice. One you need to make before you start to shop....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook