SailNet Community - View Single Post - Trying another tack... Looking for the right boat near Vancouver, BC.
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
Re: Trying another tack... Looking for the right boat near Vancouver, BC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
I don't quite understand your reservations on what you refer to as deep draft. A draft of 6 1/2' can go anywhere, with the possible exception of some of the Bahamas. Generally a boat with deeper draft is better to windward.

Boats of all drafts can hit bottom. Owners of shallow draft boats may be worse off as they can be a bit more adventurous.

CS33 and CS36T are both great boats, and roomier than others you are looking at. For example the CS36T is over 2' wider than the Spencer 35 which can be a bit tight below. The Yamaha looks pretty good as well - I would not worry about the draft.

I would forget the Westerly. A center cockpit 32' without a passageway to the aft cabin is like a 26' boat inside.

36' is not hard to handle - the bow is just a bit farther away.
Hmm I thought from the pictures it had a passageway opposite the galley? Just that it also had a top hatch aft of the cockpit?
I guess my reservations come from 1) the CS owners forum where the reviews specifically mentioned it damaging the grid reinforcing inside the hull. 2) a couple of ads I saw with grounding damage being mentioned.
That led me to being cautious, as well as all the dire warnings about what happens to deep fin keeled boats who's owners go exploring.
What about the Alohas? They certainly got some nice reviews.
What about the Swift 33?

The Niagra 31 is tempting too, I know that it is not a shorter Niagra 35 exactly(the first sailboat I ever really wanted as a kid was a Niagra 35 called Star Kindred I used to see every day at the RVYC). Seems nicely laid out, and Faster likes it(good recommendation in my books )
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook