SailNet Community - View Single Post - Restoring bootstripe by wet sanding?
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Restoring bootstripe by wet sanding?

I found a local auto paint shop with Presta Ultra Cutting Cream, so I picked some up, and also bought a polisher/sander and 3M wool and foam pads. I did a test section on my boot stripe, and it fully restored the deep, wet look of the original blue bootstripe. It is going to look fantastic when I do the whole thing (stripe and hull). Work commitments will prevent me from doing the whole boat until next weekend, so I need to hold off on starting this.

The Presta cream is amazing stuff, the way it starts as a heavy compound and disappears as it breaks down into a fine polish. It does seem to accomplish 2 or 3 steps all at once. I could not find Presta Chroma, so I'll probably use Maguire's #9 as a final glaze - or skip that step and just go to wax.

The Presta cream says it removes 1500 and finer scratches, so since I had sanded the bootstripe with 1000 grit, I did a second sanding with 2000 grit to better prep it for the Presta cream.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook