SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mr. B Buys A Boat- Adventures in Boat Shopping
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Cool Adventures in Boat Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Always liked the looks of those little guys. King was in his glory then - the 23, 37, 39 & 46 were all very good looking boats. I always wished he had done one around 32' or so to that styling theme.
Actually, Bruce did. 70's Ericson 32-2. They build a ton of them.
Irony alert! Since many of us nowadays refer to boats like 23's (and 24 and 25) as little boats, I remember when we were moving UP to a larger "cruising" boat like our first Ranger 20.... having owned a 14 foot centerboarder before that.

Back in 1980, I recall NA Ray Richards saying that he designed all of the amenities into his R-20 after he thought about roughing it during overnighters in his boyhood Lightning... with a tarp over the boom. And how little room he had sleeping beside the centerboard trunk.
Compared to those earllier days, the R-20 was absolutely luxurious.

Boats like the Ericson 23 were a whole 'nother leap up the Yachting Scale! I remember looking at a new E-23-2 in the 70's and wishing we could afford one.... but it took a bank loan just to afford that new Ranger.

Sorry for the segue/mini hijack for a fine thread............

That is all. Carry on.

LB
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook