SailNet Community - View Single Post - I had a great sail today.
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: I had a great sail today.

Easter weekend was fabulous on the West coast. Sunshine, lacking wind to start but filling in nicely Sat/Sun.

While our plans didn't exactly follow the intentions we had a great time. We've been having some intermittent injector problems, and they cropped up an hour into our trip on glassy water, so we decided to turn back with little prospect of any breeze that day. At the dock I changed filters, found a section of dodgy fuel hose (post-filter) and we set out again mid afternoon.

Still no wind, not confident yet in the solution we headed for a shorter trip to Keats Island where friends have a cabin and dock. We got lucky, they were there and we tied up to the dock, and were invited to a woodstove Turkey dinner - bonus! In the end we stayed the Saturday and helped them do some spring yard work.. had a good day there.

With a poor forecast for Monday we sailed home yesterday, beating briefly out Shoal channel and set the spinnaker at Popham Island.. the breeze filled in nicely and soon we were running at 7 - 8 knots with the kite up, no seas to speak of.. perfect.

To add to it all we were joined by a couple of Dall's Porpoises who played with us for several miles. Very difficult to get good pictures, but these are kind of 'arty' if nothing else.. The rusty looking colour is the reflection of our orange spinnaker.

And most amazing is my wife, a nervous downwind sailor, was hanging over the bow with a camera and grinning ear to ear as we were sliding down the waves tickling 8 knots half the time!

All in all a great day!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook