SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012

GBurton is on a distinguished road
Re: Full or fin keel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
You can only be jocking. Halberg Hassy, Oyster, Malo, Najad, Hinckley, Morris, all well know cruiser-racers trying to emulate racing boats!!!!

My God, that is really too much Wolf

As I have said, most of them were once full keelers, or medium keelers. They are now fin kellers to sail better not to race or to emulate racers. They are all bluewater cruisers and that's what they were built to do: Bluewater cruising, not to race or even cruiser-racing.

I think everybody can agree with that, I mean cruiser-racers?!!!!

Finally something I can agree with you. Yes in what regards Classic boats you are right.

However modern bluewater boats are fin keelers and that is a fact. Why the hell there is not a market for modern full keel bluewater boats if they are better than fin keel boats for bluewater work? Do you really believe that all the boat designers all the sailors that buy those bluewater boats are wrong and you are right? All of them?

Nothing wrong in liking to sail or own classic or traditional boats (I love both) but from there to pretending that the advantages of a better designed sailboat ended 75 years ago goes a big distance

Regards

Paulo
Actually, I think Wolfenzee is correct. You are proof of this Paulo, pushing boats that you call cruising boats but are nothing more than a skimming dish with sails.

Its a specious argument at best.

In the end the older boats such as my Westsail 32 make for comfortable, safe and affordable voyaging boats.
And don't forget, when you load the skimming dish up with supplies and tools for cruising the sailing characteristics will become less than desirable, sometimes making for a slow, uncomfortable cruise.

Paulo would never admit that of course.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook