SailNet Community - View Single Post - Video of Jordan Series Drogue deployment...
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Video of Jordan Series Drogue deployment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
It's my understanding that the major downside for the JSD is retrieval. I watched the vid a couple of days ago. I don't recall them actually showing the retrieval in real time. I have heard it can take hours.
The makers of the video said it was quite easy: see text below. I think their addition of the retrieval line to the bridle made a difference. The JSD, like a parachute IS usually a PITA to retrieve, but it's for use when other options fail. Perhaps their retrieval line will make the JSD something that is not only for "when everything else fails."

Adamlein, I agree that this is much more complex, expensive and PITA than heaving-to. Many IOR era boats don't heave to for squat though. Also, heaving-to usually requires sails or a drag device. If your sails are blown our, or your halyard malfunctions, or your mast is down, the drogue devices are your best bet as a last resort. Since I have a traditional full keel and a ketch rig, heaving-to will be the first tactic that I try, and the one I will get to practice with the most. I will, however, take a JSD with me for if the mizzen is not an option, and just for another card to play. After all, there really is no such thing as "practice" in true survival storms. For that reason I plan to take a regular drogue with me, in addition the the JSD, (even though the regular drogue and running before is a tactic that I don't think would suit my situation). In the big storms, it's always for keeps, so I think it pays to have options.

MedSailor

PS I love the home made gale-rider. I might have to make one myself

From the poster of the video:
Re: Series drogue attachment

Postby silascrosby » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:16 pm
I was able to deploy a Series Drogue twice on a recent trip from Easter Is. to Valdivia ,Chile. It is an excellent piece of gear. 124 cones from a Sailrite kit.

The attachment on my boat , a 36' steel built to a Brent Swain design aka Louis Riel , is to 1/2" SS chain plates that I welded on edge to the top of SS samson posts that are welded to and through the deck onto the hull. The large galv thimbles in the bridle are shackled to the chainplates. There was no chafe. If there had been I would expect failure very quickly. Lots of movement , stretching ,pitching and some yawing (too much gear windage on our boat).
Even in the relatively moderate conditions we experienced , the load on the gear was big. The bridle lines came bar taut and water squirted out of the rope.

The conditions on the first deployment were 35 -40 knots with steep breaking seas. No risk of pitchpoling but certainly of knockdown. We slowed from 6k with no sail up to 2.5k with the drogue out. Had a good night's sleep

It was easy to deploy and really quite easy to retrieve. I had tied on a 30' piece of line from the boat to the outboard end of the bridle to help retrieve. The retrieval took about 20 minutes in 12' seas and 15 - 20 k wind.

Because it was so easy the first time, we deployed it a second time just a day away from arrival in Valdivia when a very energetic front passed over us. The baro went from 1015mb to 985 in about 18 hrs. It blew hard. A lot of tree and other damage ashore , 70 miles away. However it didn't last more than 2 hrs and we retrieved the drogue this time in 25 - 30 knots of wind , again surprisingly easy. I had forgotten to tie on the retrieval line ,but a series of rolling hitches added about 10 minutes to the process.

Brent has suggested using the bridle line in some situations to make the bridle asymmetrical which would present the stern at an angle and reduce rolling. In our case the rolling became uncomfortable when the wind backed off in the wee hours of the morning.
The edges of the fabric cone are now a little frayed so I will now heatseal with a solder gun , another good winter project by the heater.

This JSD will be something I will use in much less than survival conditions, as well as in more severe
conditions.

We were able to get some video of the deployment which will go onto our website when editing is done.
Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MedSailor; 04-09-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook