SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat for Single-Handed
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road
Re: Boat for Single-Handed

I think starting small on the smaller lake is a good move. I learned to sail on a small lake on Cape Cod, Long Pond in a 16' Oday Daysailor. My grandfather taught me when I was 10 yrs old. With a few months i was single handing it and had some pretty fun times. My grandfather always to told me the larger the boat the easier to sail. So far this has been true except docking..... My small daysailor on that lake was a handful at times with large gusts, people water sking, no engine and generally speaking, learning to sail. All the lessons I learned way back when have made sailing my larger 30' sailboat a breeze, especially when the wind pipes up. My keel boat does not respond nearly as quickly as the cb daysailor.
Either way you go, It would be a good idea to have another sailor show you the ropes a bit, the first few times. Experience on the water is alway a good thing. I am sure Lake erie can get quite nasty rather quickly and overcome if the most experienced sailors because of the steep chop.
Most important is to take small steps and have fun sailing and learning. the small boat will even let you get your feet wet on general boat maintenance which is a good thing to know when stepping up to a larger boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My two lovely ladies!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook