SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat for Single-Handed
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road
Re: Boat for Single-Handed

I did lessons last year on a Colgate 26 and had a great time. I also did a refreasher a few weeks ago on a Colgate again. I decided to get a 27' boat as my first. Some people will say start small and go now and others are comfortable going for the larger boats first. If you don't think you'll be doing long because of the wife, something smaller to have fun with could be a good choice. Like mentioned before, volunteering could be a good place to learn. I met a guy in Texas who lives on a 40' boat but said he doesn't take it out much because he needs more people to help him handle the boat. Find someone who is like that and they could be your best friend teaching you along the way and he (or she) gets a helper. Walk around nearby marinas asking if anyone needs an extra hand. Good or bad, you'll walk away learning something new.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook