SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat for Single-Handed
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012

Canuckster is on a distinguished road
Boat for Single-Handed

I sail single handed on Lake Erie with my 25 foot Tanzer as my wife's not into the sail boat.
It's not uncommon for me to sail 50 miles in a day, sleep on my boat , then run the 50 miles back to Port. Sailing on Lake Erie is using common sense . If you have a storm warning, you know in advance it's going to be uncomfortable so why risk it ?
I've been caught in 8 footers on Lake Erie, and the main thing is not to panic and stay calm.
Sailing the Great Lakes is unlike any ocean as the waves are very close and cap quickly, but as I mentioned , don't panic ! I purposely went out in major winds, to see how far I could push my boat , believe me, I was tired and wore out, but my boat returned in one piece ! I can now appreciate the boat's capability if I ever encountered a serious change of conditions !
I grew up on power boats since I was born, but I've had more fun the past 5 years sailing then I have in my life !
Learn to respect the water , that's 75% of staying safe !
Scott

Better to try and fail than not to have tried at all !
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook