SailNet Community - View Single Post - Thunderstorm in Chesapeake Bay
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: Thunderstorm in Chesapeake Bay

For those that consider themselves "just a Bay sailor" or "just a Great Lakes sailor" the weather is can get every bit as bad as offshore and the shallow water can make the seas really unpleasant. The only real difference is how long you may have to put up with the mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
The art is doing it at the right time, but the right time allows you to check for things like lines in the water or loose gear lashings, before the 40 knot winds hit and the boat is on its ear.
Another challenge offshore is that no matter how prepared you are when you leave the dock the longer you are at sea the more likely things are to drift from being "ready." Especially if you are short-handed and tired you are likely to talk yourself into cutting corners and not comply with your own standard operating procedures. I still can't believe I talked myself into dropping the main without putting the lazy jacks up. *sigh* That was a mess. Stupid. We all have our moments.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook