SailNet Community - View Single Post - Trying another tack... Looking for the right boat near Vancouver, BC.
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Re: Trying another tack... Looking for the right boat near Vancouver, BC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgbrown View Post
Damn. There goes that idea. I really did love the Ketch rig though. My dad is pretty focused on the shorter CS. He is very concerned that the 36T will be much harder to handle in every way, due to the extra length and weight.
I think the 36T, especially the specific one I'm interested in is much more suited to my purpose such as the extra length and weight would probably be an asset in rough weather at anchor, triple the tank capacity means fewer trips for fuel/water etc.
However he has experience with sailing larger boats and I do not.

Were most CS33s set up for singlehanding with lines run aft as well?
Reading through this again it appears that you are contemplating living either on the hook or on a mooring. In which case the primary benefit of the small boat, the lower marina charges, disappears.

You and your dad are worrying to much about boat size. if you are reasonably fit and 6 ft then boat size is not that much of a problem when it comes to sailing. OK when the sails get above 400 sq ft then yes it is a problem but I would not dismiss larger boats. I lived for 7 years on a 38 footer and now am in my 3rd year on a 44 footer. Both of which I can and do single hand, managing to sail and anchor with no great anxieties. Could I manage on a smaller boat sure but I like the extra speed, the quieter motion and the ability to keep going when faced with the steep nasty seas of the Caribbean 2 step. Also I like the headroom the extra space available for a good size shower and not having to worry about weight when I think about keeping something.

Sure the smaller boat will cost less to maintain and a little less to heat but the benefits of space and if you go voyaging the extra speed and stability are considerable.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook