SailNet Community - View Single Post - Thunderstorm in Chesapeake Bay
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Re: Thunderstorm in Chesapeake Bay

Normally I would never use the lying ahull method....however speaking of thunderstorms on the Bay that is exactly what I did when one approached when sailing on the Patuxent river. All sails were doused and the wheel was locked and we sat under the dodger not touching anything metal. As the boat neared the shore on one tack, I unlocked the rudder and let the boat go on the opposite tack until the storm had passed.

Another time coming back into Solomons at night, I was trying to get back before the storm struck. Did not make it and was caught in the channel going in. The wind was gusting so I had to maintain steerage, but could not see much beyound the bow. Watched the compass heading and looked to the side to see dock lights as I passed some marinas, however as I neared my marina going through an anchorage with boats anchored that I could not see I was fortunate enough to get a lightening bolt which let me see what was ahead. That is the one and only time that I wanted to see lightening.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook