SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why does my diesel not rev when in gear?
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012

CapnSantiago is on a distinguished road
Re: Why does my diesel not rev when in gear?

Thanks for all the good input...following is additional info per various above suggestions:

I'll checkout the injectors (though not sure what they're supposed to look like dirty or clean)...
Yes, new batteries are in order although I'm not sure this has anything to do with the lack of reving in gear (and check the wire gauge/connections)...
I've checked for air leaks but not detected any (maybe they're too elusive for me)...
I'm on lake Texoma (in Texas) so no engine preheat...
Had the same engine/propr setup for the 6 yrs I've owned it so don't think that would be the problem...
I'll have to get the marina to do the compression check but it's probably worth doing...
I'll recheck the linkage...
It is am MD7B as stamped on the engine (maybe I'm wrong about the 13hp?)...
I've long suspected the tank could stand to be emptied/cleaned and filled with fresh fuel but not quite sure just how to do all that...
I'm in the process of changing filters and will check all that out...
I believe the exhaust to be black (never really understood the visual blue to look for) and I'll clean the filter (it's reusable type)...
The engines worked fine in past years but got progressively worse last summer and now has my attention...
When I say along time to start I'm talking 10-15-20 minutes (not seconds), when it does start it starts catching as I continue to crank until eventually it "catches up" and I can stop cranking, usually dies 2-3 times but restarts fairly quickly (10-20seconds)...after it gets up to temp it restarts for the remainder of the day as it should (but doesn't always rev in gear)...
Is it true you can't flood a diesel?
I'll check the governor (didn't know I had one)...
Replaced the exhaust elbow/water muffler last summer so do think that's clogged...

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook