SailNet Community - View Single Post - Transient Slip in Norfolk
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road
Re: Transient Slip in Norfolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
If I were going to make the Delmarva Loop, and headed south in Chesapeake Bay there are a couple places near Cape Charles, VA that boats with a relatively shallow draft (under 5-feet) may wish to consider. Bay Creek Marina, formally known as Kings Creek Marina, has really improved over the years. It has been quite a while since I last visited this place, but it's on my bucket list for the upcoming season. Bay Creek Marina - Virginia Is For Lovers

There is some dockage near the Coast Guard station in Cape Charles Harbor, but the last time I checked it was very limited. There are some new restaurants in Cape Charles too, including Bahama Breeze, a chain that serves excellent cuisine. It's a neat town to visit, lots of old, historic buildings that have been restored, but like any town on the Chesapeake's eastern shore, it is surrounded by tidal marsh. When the sun goes down, the skeeters take over.

If you don't really need dockage, then I would just drop the anchor in the sheltered waters behind the concrete Liberty Ships at Kiptopeke Landing. The area is protected from most westerly winds and there's a great state park to visit. Miles of picturesque beaches to explore and let the kids collect shells of all kinds.

Good Luck,

Gary
I will second these choices as well, i would however avoid Kiptopeke with any component of a north or south wind, very rolly and the current really moves through there. We stayed there 3 days last year....we had a great time, but had a 10-15kt southwest wind and is was rather rough...lots of powerboat fisherman, most were courteous and slowed down when passing...some did not.

Last fall we sailed to Cape Charles and stayed at the city docks. What a nice place and very helpful staff. Their docks are almost new and very wide. Restroom/bath house was also nice and very clean. I would recommend this place to anyone. There is not a whole lot in town, especially boat supply wise. There is however very nice pub, great tiny library and very cozy little cafe/coffee house. We stayed 2 days and it was about 80 bucks. BTW they have leaded fuel(atomic 4).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My two lovely ladies!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook