SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bimini or something else?
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Bimini or something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
24" is too narrow and would not provide useful shelter, note that rain rarely falls straight down, usually there's a breeze and your boat is heeling, and the end result is you need a bimini pretty much the size of your cockpit, with your helm location pretty much centered under it.

Most bimini frames fold aft and rest angled against the backstay. Again, if you have the bimini in place for the right weather, you'll be using it..
It's wrong to classify what I'm thinking about as a bimini, which is just a top. I'm thinking along the lines of a small three sided enclosure, cut low enough to shelter torso with a clear front and sides. Specifically designed for use when sitting or standing behind the wheel (both have same eyesight plane). It would start just fwd of the wheel and extend back just far enough to block wind driven rain. I was hoping someone had tried or seen something like this as in the posting above. My boom, traveler extends far aft of the wheel so a frame extending from the rails is not possible but it is high enough to stand under with a couple of inches to spare .

Last edited by smurphny; 04-11-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook