SailNet Community - View Single Post - Thoghts on a San Juan 24'?
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012
Been there, done that...

ericb760 is on a distinguished road
Thoghts on a San Juan 24'?

First post here. I have recently moved back to the coast (long Beach, CA) and am looking to buy a boat. I previously owned a San Juan 24' back in Texas in the late 90's and I loved it. Sadly most of my sailing experience back then was in a drunken haze so I don't remember much about the intricacies of the boat. What I do remember is that these are set up for racing and so I could manage all lines from the cockpit. I have found a '77 San Juan 24' that was abandoned at a local marina so they are willing to sell it to me for around $1800. It has no VHF or battery and am unsure of the state of the wiring. No fuel tank although it does have 6 HP Tohatsu long shaft but I don't yet know if it runs. It has a mainsail and one jib but again, I don't know what shape these are in. the marina will give me one month free and it's $9.50 a foot after that. So around $230 bucks a month for slip rental. Question: Does anyone have any likes or dislikes concerning San Juan 24's, the asking price, the state of the boat as I've explained it? Also, what are the top five things I should look closely at in determining whether to buy this boat? Any feedback is appreciated.
Eric
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook