SailNet Community - View Single Post - Thoghts on a San Juan 24'?
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 04-11-2012 Thread Starter
ericb760

Thoghts on a San Juan 24'?

First post here. I have recently moved back to the coast (long Beach, CA) and am looking to buy a boat. I previously owned a San Juan 24' back in Texas in the late 90's and I loved it. Sadly most of my sailing experience back then was in a drunken haze so I don't remember much about the intricacies of the boat. What I do remember is that these are set up for racing and so I could manage all lines from the cockpit. I have found a '77 San Juan 24' that was abandoned at a local marina so they are willing to sell it to me for around $1800. It has no VHF or battery and am unsure of the state of the wiring. No fuel tank although it does have 6 HP Tohatsu long shaft but I don't yet know if it runs. It has a mainsail and one jib but again, I don't know what shape these are in. the marina will give me one month free and it's $9.50 a foot after that. So around $230 bucks a month for slip rental. Question: Does anyone have any likes or dislikes concerning San Juan 24's, the asking price, the state of the boat as I've explained it? Also, what are the top five things I should look closely at in determining whether to buy this boat? Any feedback is appreciated.
Eric
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome