SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat for Single-Handed
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012

CaptainWabamun is on a distinguished road
Re: Boat for Single-Handed

Jonathan,

Some other thoughts from someone who is in same boat, pun intended, with lack of spousal enthusiam and who generally sails alone.

I started with a Macgregor 26 four years ago for lake sailing. Found it to be a great little boat for lake sailing. Also have been out in some pretty rough weather by myself. Allows for weekend/overnights. Good trailer sailer - in my opinion most trailer sailers of this size consume too much time for set up and take down if you are thinking of hauling and launching each time you sail. Even with help and moving at a brisk pace you could easily spend 2-3 hours for put in/take down time - way too much time.

Last season I moved up to Catalina 27 - like my Macgregor but was spending a lot more time on the boat and needed more space. Miss the speed and nimbleness of the Mac and abilty to haul it around with my van but enjoy the bigger boat and opportunity to sail in heavier wind. I also single hand this most of the time. Two tips I would share are building time on the water and having the boat set-up for single sailing. I had to redo my running rigging to run lines aft to the cockpit in a manner that made it safe to sail both boats single-handed. I got caught in a storm in my Mac before I had done this and it was not a good expereince as I could not leave the tiller to manage lines.

good luck ....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook