SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sold My Boat, Now What???
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Sold My Boat, Now What???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Think out of the boat.

Owning a boat is like owning a cabin or a time-share or a .... You are committed to one location.

Just go sailing in all the places that you had wanted to do so. Charter, walk into to the office, get the keys and go sailing. Bring the boat back in good shape. Someone else will do the oil change.

After 34,000 miles of sailing other people's boats, I really do not feel the need to have my own.
Jack, that is the triumph of reason over passion. What about the "MY boat" factor? I enjoy working on them and customizing them at least as much as sailing them.

I have a friend who thinks much like you - he's always been in group owned boats. He's one of shrewdest people I know but he misses out on a lot that way as well IMO. He's also started buying out his partners as they swallow the anchor, instead of soliciting new ones.

In a city it makes a lot of sense to use cabs & transit instead of owning a car but then I'd miss taking my Corvette or my wife's supercharged Jag out trolling for speeding tickets.

Sailing and sailboats whole purpose is passion, not rationality.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook