SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

'87 Hobie Holder

5K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  onetunepauly 
#1 ·
We just purchased an 1987 Hobie Holder 6 months ago. Since we bought it in the fall, we didn't get a lot of time to sail it in good wind. So far this season we've taken it out a few times with some good wind and it's turned out to be a handy little boat.

It's really wide and has a drop centerboard and fixed Rutter. Absolutely do not like the fixed Rutter and we are looking to replace it as soon as we can. The boat has no control without the centerboard and Rutter. We usually sail in a shallow lake so we have to paddle out to the middle before we can drop the centerboard and Rutter and gain more control.

Other than that, it's been a great little boat. We put in a little elbow grease when we first got it. It fits 4-6 people comfortably. Nice deep cubby in the front holds life jackets, dry bags, etc.

The sails were in pretty good shape when we found it. The jib furls up which is nice. Wondering if anyone else out there has one and what they think of it?

#2 ·
I will be taking a look at an '88 Hobie Holder 14' this weekend and I hope that it turns out well. I am new to sailing and I have found it difficult to find an affordable place to sail as most clubs have steep initiation fees. I am also in an area of
South Florida where small boat sailing is almost non existent. I would have to travel an hour to Miami, five times a month, to get my moneys worth out of Sail Laser and rentals shops have mostly Cats, with high seasonal fees for tourists.

I have seen some lemons in my searches and I am hoping that this will be the one. I will let you know how I get along.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.