SailNet Community - View Single Post - Question for world cruisers
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Question for world cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris12345 View Post
On the contrary, I would take care to de-register (state registration) the boat, otherwise the DMV might come after you for years of registration fees, once you (or the boat) return.
I can't see this happening (it doesn't now). The state would have to prove that your boat was in their waters for that time period, wouldn't they? Who has the resources to do that and how can it be proven one way or the other? If you let your state registration expire, it's expired. If you want to renew it you just send in the renewal when you're ready. I've done that before.

Quote:
If you do owe property tax on the boat while abroad, I don't know.
I would assume not, because property tax if for US property; you would not owe it on a foreign house either.
But if the boat is state-registered, the state will want property tax.
Can you explain what you mean, please? Property tax is property tax. A boat is a vessel or vehicle and not property. I keep my boat in Maryland but I don't pay property tax on the boat, just on the property I own. Apples and oranges.

Quote:
If any country is going to be iffy about registration of your boat, federal is going to be better than state.
Probably true. It was once explained to me that sailing on a documented boat is like sailing on a little chunk of the US. True? No idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook