SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjung View Post
I have to admit, the Elan 310 is a nice boat. But without a bulkhead, there would be a more open , larger interior and more ventilation. I wonder if the bulkhead is necessary for structural reasons, due to lighter build??
I would like to see the Elan 394 in person.
ELAN Marine - Sail - Sail Yachts
What is their reputation in regards buildquality?
You risk ending up liking really modern boats. You are right regarding the open space. That is a modern tendency in interior boat design and since the head is not there I bet that on the next remodeling they will opt by a double door that can be left open like the one on the Dufour 36 and other boats to make he space more open.

The reputation is about the same as the French boats. The 310 is from the performance line so all the hardware is of better quality than on the cruising line (394), like the First versus the Oceanis.

Personally I think Elan are a bit more solid than the French boats a middle step between them and Dehler. Regarding the 394 and its bigger sister I think it is a shame the design that is poor in many points: on the interior and on the outside look of the boat that seems fat and it is a shame because it is a good sailing boat with a very good stability curve (better than you would normally find on these boats). Cruising Elans have the reputation of being very seaworthy boats.

http://sail.elan-yachts.com/slike/pl...ment_Curve.pdf

http://sail.elan-yachts.com/slike/pl...AR_DIAGRAM.pdf

I like more the previous models, specially the 424 and that is not normal. I hope that I am the only one but I really think Elan is going to pass a difficult time. They sell mostly cruising boats and the good sales performance of the performance cruising line will not be enough to compensate the poor sales on the cruising line.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 04-12-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook