SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Your ONE piece of wisdom...

23K views 150 replies 108 participants last post by  bornagainsailor 
#1 ·
Perhaps it's spring, but there appear to be quite a few new folks gazing towards the water here on Sailnet. There is also quite a bit of salty wisdom around here as well, and one of the great things about Sailnet is that wisdom, experience and advice are freely shared over long discussions.

For those that wish to partake, here is a space to post the ONE piece of advice that you think is most important to communicate. Only ONE piece of advice allowed and it must be short. The U/W school of medicine has a simmilar tradition, passing information from graduates to newbies. Why so short, why only one? Because like Haiku, it forces the mind to filter out what is not necessary and what is left is pure.

My piece:

"Having enough scope out is THE most important aspect in anchoring securely."

Have at it!

MedSalor

#55 ·
I am not sure if this is a piece of wisdom or not, but it works for me.

It was derived from my father's saying long ago when I was a teenager.

He said: Son, if you make a dollar, you must save 95 cents and only use 5 cents.
i did not listen to him exactly, but I did save 50% of my income always.

Derived from this:
Never buy a boat unless you are retired. Let's sail others boat. :D

#131 ·
I am not sure if this is a piece of wisdom or not, but it works for me.

It was derived from my father's saying long ago when I was a teenager.

He said: Son, if you make a dollar, you must save 95 cents and only use 5 cents.
i did not listen to him exactly, but I did save 50% of my income always.

Derived from this:
Never buy a boat unless you are retired. Let's sail others boat. :D
I'm glad I didn't take this advice. I'm 35 and sailing. If I got hit by a truck tomorrow, I would have one less regret.

#75 ·
GREETINGS EARTHLINGS: Never do **** OR BUST, cause it will break when you are depending on it with your life . Marine diesel engins are not designed to be reliable. The anchor chain is as strong as the weackest link. If you think you should reef it should be in already . Make sure somone knows your passage plan, and when you arrive at your destination tell the coastgaurd you have arrived .
KEEP UP YOU LOG AND POSSITION ON CHART (Leagal requirment) look after the boat and the boat will look after you and the best of all GO SAFE .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.