SailNet Community - View Single Post - newbie seeks advice
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012

JUST MESSIN WITH IT is on a distinguished road
Re: newbie seeks advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by makenmend View Post
Anyone care to enlighten me on their launch/retreval and mast raising/lowering methods. Not ready to get on the water yet but getting close.

MM
I have managed to get the mast up on my own without too much hassle.
I have a wooden crutch ( 6' 6" long with a v cut at the top). With the mast laying on the fore deck i raise the crutch with the "v" just below the spars and lash it central to the stern rail.This will pull the mast back so its aound the area of the mast step.
I now have about 30 degree angle. I can pull the mast back until i can get the pin through the step. Next bit is easy.... I put a line on the forestay hook and winch it up with the main sail winch keeping my should on the mast to stop it swingng sideways. Once it gets past 45 degrees it goes up suprisingly easy. Connect the forstay and bob your uncle...

As far as launching , i have a fairly shallow ramp locally.
What i did was cut a 12inch peice of 2 1/2 inch square tube, and weld it on the underside of the trailer tongue. just far enough back to not obstruct the main tow thingy.
I then cut a 5 foot long 2" tube with a two inch tow hitch thingy on one end. Insert one into the other and pin in place, ive now extended the trailer tongue by about 4' . Result is i dont have to back my truck right into the water to get the boat off.

Hope that helps , im a newbie myself , but im used to solving problems on my own.

OOPS just re read post and notice the tongue extension isnt anything new .... damn there was me thinking it was my idea lol

Last edited by JUST MESSIN WITH IT; 04-13-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook