SailNet Community - View Single Post - Compresion post repaired
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012

510datsun is on a distinguished road
Re: Compresion post repaired

gknott, you are correct about the counter not being burneel, my metal portion of the compression post has sunk about 3/16 of an inch in to the counter-top too. So, its not as hard as the plywood under the 4x4 and cabin sole. So, it is a weak link of the set up.

I'm going for the option of replacing a portion of the cabin sole, the piece or plywood under the 4x4, cutting out the counter-top around the metal post, and replacing all of them with the GO3 fiberglass, and bonded to mating surfaces with epoxy. Of course the metal post would be bolted down still in the same location.

Mark15, I have seen your pictures of your rebuild, nice work is an understatement. Your rebuild under the 4x4 is better then what I plan, but within my technical skill, not sure I could do what you did. I will take some pictures of my rebuild when I get to it and post them on this thread.

Our recent discussions on this subject will give more choices for future members wanting to fix this problem with the aging boats out there. I do know the boat is definitely worth fixing, I just love the way it sails and the daily compliments I get on mine.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook