SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crimping versus Soldering
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Crimping versus Soldering

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_beckstedt View Post
I'm working on my cal 25 just bought , had some ground ishews found the problems were crimp conectors not properly crimped or viberation, I see a lot of this in the automotive industry over the past 35 years.
The reason that a wire might break before or after a solder joint is when soldering your getting the wire to hot witch causes the wire to get brittle. Here is what I use solderseal but splice conectors you can buy at Amazon. All you need to due is heat it up with a heat gun, it solders and seals it all in one. you can buy a heat gun at harbor freight for 14dollors.

And products like those are why the ABYC prohibits solder as the sole means of mechanical connection... Please be careful...

Remember that solder is engineered to be flowing a temps below the burning of plastic. This means in a high resistance situation your solder can melt BEFORE the jacket lights on fire and release the wire so you now have a live dangling hot wire to short out on something. If using those I would not recommend pushing your fusing to the wires max ampacity for OCP.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook