SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cal 21 Owners
Thread: Cal 21 Owners
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012

rjohnson is on a distinguished road
Re: Cal 21 Owners

Ralph, we were primarily on an A-Frame cradle for storage (originally we used the supports from the shipping cradle bolted to an A-frame), I do have a picture of NODROG on stands...but that was temporary (about 2-3 days) one year when we had a problem with the keel (pivot bolt hole had rusted out). The yard didn't quite position the stands correct, looking at those pics. It was a bit unnerving boarding the boat when she was that high (I was so used to her sitting low to the ground!). I would think that as long as you have the centerline of the boat supported on blocks (positioned close as possible fore and aft of keel slot) and the stands are positioned to support the hull at bulkhead locations (basically aft stands would be located with pad roughly centered on a line crossing the boat at aft end of keel slot. Forward stands line up outboard of forward end of keel slot) Even for low stands, I'd chain them together across boat to prevent them from kicking out.

I can't answer your "private message".....still need to get my post count up, but I might have more info. However, hopefully my advice might help others anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippy
Rod, I just bought 4 jack stands so I could lift my Cal off the trailer and drop the keel. But now I am nervous about placement of the stands. Somebody suggested that the hull couldn't withstand the pressure of 4 one foot square supports. But I see in your recent post that your boat was probably on stands. Any suggestions/info/pics appreciated. Thanks ralph
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2241890035.jpg (50.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Spring 1991.jpg (54.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg NODROG_haulout-00_keel down.jpg (73.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Nodrog_keel.jpg (25.8 KB, 12 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NODROG
1970 CAL 21 (sold 2008)
Other boats
SUNBIRD
1979 O'DAY DS II
BLUE BIRD
1969 O'DAY Widgeon
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook