SailNet Community - View Single Post - Epoxy on the prop?
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Epoxy on the prop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
This is important to me, because I don't know about you, but I never run out of hardenerat the end of a project, always in the middle.
And why is it that it's always hardener that comes up short?
Do you use graduated Dixie cups to apportion your resin & hardener? I do and I have found the graduations aren't adjusted to account for the taper in the cup. If I put the hardener in the bottom of the cup and then the resin I'll end up with excess hardener. If the hardener goes on top, I run out of it - there is that much difference in the volume top to bottom in those cups. It isn't enough to affect the cure but it does mean you have leftovers of one or the other component at the end of a kit.

Once I discovered this, I just reversed the layering from one batch to the next and I generally don't end up with any significant leftovers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook