SailNet Community - View Single Post - Thoughts on Pearson 37 as first boat...?
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012
is Awesome!

DavidB.UK is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DavidB.UK
Re: Thoughts on Pearson 37 as first boat...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztucwatson View Post
I think it is great that you are interested in a boat, but the "across the pond" comment definitely caught my ear. I strongly recommend gradual transition beginning with learning how to sail and taking your new boat out with very experienced crew who can teach/support you. Also, classes and certifications are well worth the investment. Anyway, go slow, be safe, take shorter trips and get accustomed to the lifestyle. Then, think about long journeys. I have one friend who purchased a 169 ft. yacht to cruise with his wife and daughter (yes, 169 ft.). After a couple of months, the family decided to go back home. So, be sure your family or significant others are fully "on board" too.
My apologies for the confusion, I realise that my title is somewhat misleading.
I have been sailing since I was 15 but always smaller boats, I have sailed in the wit sundays and lots of inland sailing in the UK.
I spent 2 years working as an outdoor activities instructor and whilst there did lots of sailing and was at RYA assistant instructor level before leaving the company (long story) my last boat which I sold about a year ago now was 27ft Soling.

I sailed that boat for 3 years on Loch tay and on occasion (wether was very changeable, very quickly) was out in 5ft waves! battling upwind up just the Jib to come in and pick the mooring up single handed lol, ahh good fun! and very wet!

So where as I make no claims to be anything but a newbie when it comes to yacht sailing, I can sail and KNOW that I have a love of boats and the of water and as I found out on my sailing trip in the wit sundays (and a handful of other occasions) i am in the fortunate minority who do suffer sea-sickness!

As for nearest and dearest, my only significant other at the moment is my cat.

Ok, thats not my cat but thought it would make some of you laugh!

This one is my cat and as long as she has her 'cheeky monkey' I hope that she will be fine, from what I have been reading about cats on boats, they are like people, some are happy... others... not so much!

The lady of my dreams (who I am certain is out there) will most certainly be a 'boaty girl/water baby' for sure!

My family live in a Town in the Northwest of England called Northwich and Northwich has a river which is navigable by boats up to 120ft long and 35ft beam. Its also only 6hrs from the sea, so initially (at least) I will be living aboard with the boat on the river so that I am still near family (brother and sister have young kids). and then when the weather closes in for winter I can head south for warmer weather...

I appreciate the concerns about 'across the pond' though indeed there are some crazy brits, I am not so fool hardy as to even consider such a voyage without (at least) a professional skipper on board.

While I get used to life on board and venture out for weekends on the sea and some coastal cruising I will get myself through the recommend courses. At this point I am thinking that Day skipper followed by Yachtmaster would be a good start but I am open to any further/additional suggestions.

Perhaps my title should have ready first live-aboard yacht my apologies to those who thought this misleading, this was an oversight on my part and was not intended to by deliberate deceit, just an innocent mistake by one filled with the zeal of newbieness!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook