SailNet Community - View Single Post - C&c 37+
Thread: C&c 37+
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012

ScuzzMonkey is on a distinguished road
Re: C&c 37+

In case anyone is still following this (Penceler?), we've pretty much ruled out the Seattle 37+. I had the great good fortune to talk to a gentleman who made an offer on her late last year and got all the way through sea trial and survey before bagging it... and a glance at the survey.

In addition to the rigging issues (very expensive--I got estimates from two different riggers, both running conservatively at around $20K), she has some significant engine problems, which is probably no surprise: if it's hard to get the sail out, you're gonna be on the engine all the time, right? Twice as many indicated engine hours as most of the others on the market, and it hadn't been well-maintained... the top of it has been cleaned up and looks all right but I got down and checked the mounts and underside, and it looked worse than the 40 year-old Yanmar we just sold.

So that's both propulsion systems needing a lot of expensive work, and you have to wonder what else wasn't well-maintained if those systems weren't. The pricing is in line with the others on the market, but she hasn't been kept up as well, IMHO, and it would be another $30K over any above what we might spend on any of the others to get her up to the same standard. It sounds like the owner wants to get money out of her that he didn't put in... the broker kept going on about how that was the price they are selling for, but if they're all selling at that price, only a sucker is going to buy the worst of the bunch.

So, the Vancouver one is next on our list. I've heard bad things about her, also: "raced hard and put away wet" was how the guy I talked to put it. He eventually found it cheaper to buy in New York and have one shipped out here. But we're going to be in Vancouver anyway so we'll see.

Otherwise, it looks like a long road trip might be in order... if anyone on the East Coast has checked out any of those, I'd love to hear impressions on which would be most worth our time to fly out and check out.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook