SailNet Community - View Single Post - Garmin GPS 72H and VMG?
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012

No Drama is on a distinguished road
Re: Garmin GPS 72H and VMG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinbadOz View Post
I came across this thread as I too am trying to understand how to get accurate VMG on a 72H (using far, far away point) whilst still seeing info about next waypoint on the course. (I've used both Garmin 76 and 72H models of skippers I've sailed with, but have just bought my own 72H for AUD$149 from Whitworths)

Re using Routes on round-the-bouys races, the trick is to:
  1. create a waypoint that is the midpoint of your starting line (difficult if it's a variable position mid-river start!)
  2. Starting navigation of the selected route as you go across the start line - must be within proximity (50m+/-) of the StartingLine waypoint created in 1 in order to trigger the navigation to the first mark.
  3. The unit should then:
    1. automatically switch focus to the waypoint for the first rounding mark
    2. thereafter switch focus to each successive waypoint after passing through the proximity circle around the current waypoint (i.e. enter the circle and then leave it.)
I agree that the route should work this way, but if you have a course where you round the same mark multiple times the poor little 72H gets confused and starts going to incorrect marks. I have spoken to and had numerous correspondance with Garmin Oz tech support, but finally gave up with them. I have tried several other Garmin units and many have the same issue.

I now have each mark position stored as different waypoints, ie mark A is stored as A1, A2 & A3 and use this within the route. This works much better but very infrequently jumps to the incorrect mark.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook