SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Prop Removal

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  CalebD 
#1 ·
As part of my shaft upgrade I attempted to remove my one year old prop today. I sprayed a ton of PB on the exposed threads and the nut would not budge. Since I am replacing the shaft I used a Pipe Wrench on the shaft to hold it while I attempted to remove the nut. It would not budge. I left it soaking overnight, but if I still cannot remove it I hope it will clear the rudder and I will simply bring it to the Prop/Machine Shop still attached. Let them remove it. I have never removed a prop before. They are normal threads, right? Meaning left to loosen? Any tricks out there?

#2 ·
exchiefwarren,
I just went through this job over the winter and launched today. More verbiage and pictures of how our job went are here: 2011, November 30th. Begin drive train rebuild | Odalisque
My recommendation would be to check for excessive wear on you bronze shaft at the strut or stuffing box and if it is at all scored to just cut the shaft in half and get a new SS shaft made for your boat. A new SS shaft should cost around $200 +/- and with the shaft out it is easier to separate the prop from shaft and the shaft from coupling. You then have access to replace your Cutless bearing, if you want to, and your stuffing box packing.
Our old bronze shaft was scored by the Cutless bearing so we cut it in half with a Sawzall in no time. The Sawzall also came in handy for removing the old Cutless bearing but you can also use more gentle tools like a hack saw. Press fitting these things out doesn't always work out to be easy.
Have no fear though because you already have the threaded rod you need for pressing in the new Cutless bearing (and there is no other way to do that). One hint: box wrenches get much better torque.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.