SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
The next sentence says:
"The long term solution is painting the hull. The process is more expensive but but t will ensure gloss retention for a many as 10 years."
As many as 10 years? I have seen well cared for Imron go well beyond 10 years and well maintained gelcoat last into the 40's.

This is my own boat painted with AwlCraft 2000 taken yesterday at year 7. I would argue that even at year 7 her gloss and shine is better than a 90% of the freshly painted boats out there. A well cared for gelcoat or painted finish can last far longer than 10 years, but sadly the vast majority of finishes are not well cared for....

Sorry for the poor quality (grainy) pics only had the point & shoot and used "force flash off" which drove up the ISO forcing some grain..

As for Mike's gelcoat comments that has not been my experience if you do a thorough gelcoat restoration. Sadly most guys stop at "compound" or a polish that is too aggressive which leaves swirls and causes gelcoat to oxidize faster than a glass smooth finish. With darker colors they do oxidize faster and will require a more aggressive polish at year end, but usually not a compound. Most gel boats are white.

Once you've restored a gelcoat finish a once a year a quick polish & wax will keep it looking good nearly indefinitely. We did my buddies Chris's Ericson almost 5 years ago and all he's done in five years is two polishes and yearly applications of Collinite #885. It still looks as good as the day we did it and he skipped three years of polish. I have plenty of examples I can point to with similar results. My guess is that, due to labor costs, Mike most likely can not take the time to do the "complete process" the way an owner can. In my experience doing less than half the process results in less than half the performance...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 04-17-2012 at 07:42 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook